Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Where my character names came from

The following is the origin of the 13 names that I have applied to the Barefoot family characters.

Alfred Wayne "Buddy" Barefoot was the given name of Buddy Wayne Barefoot.  When BellSouth (now part of AT&T) put his name in a 1993 phone book, it was transposed to Buddy Wayne (and I later encountered it in a directory published by ProCD).  He died in 1998 at age 44.  According to a personal e-mail I received from Deb Holmes, who ran the website wemightbekin.com, he committed suicide.  The full obituary can be found in this PDF file.  The obituary of Randall Carrington Lee on this PDF file lists his name as "Buddy Wayne Barefoot."

This PDF file was also the source of Annie's, Ralph's, Harvey's, and Reba Pearl's names.  Annie died in 1959 at age 76, Ralph died in 2004 at age 64, Harvey at age 79 in 2006, and Reba Pearl at age 71 in 2003.

Britton Lee Barefoot came from John "Bubba" Britton, the "face" of B.W., and I came up with the middle name on my own. (Coincidentally, this is also the name of the real Ralph Barefoot's late father.)  "Bunky" is a common nickname in coastal areas from Maryland to South Carolina.  As for his sister Brandy, that was straight out of my head; as was Belinda.

Alonzo, Brenda and Bobby Ray came from the same ProCD directory at which I found B.W.'s name.  Bryson was an actor whose name I found at IMDb, unfortunately, the site has delisted it for some reason.  Jennifer (full name Jennifer Jill Barefoot) came from Jennifer Jill White, who has worked as a production assistant for MTV.


No comments:

Post a Comment