Saturday, October 13, 2012

Makin' music with my friends (and family)

The post title is adapted from a lyric of "On the Road Again," a hit song by Willie Nelson recorded in 1980. - D.H.

It goes without saying that music is very important in my life.  In my past world, I sold over 40 million albums and won 11 Grammy awards.  I have made it clear that, despite all my different and obvious talents, that acoustic country guitar is my first love.  Now, I am sharing that love with the other older males in the family.

Popeye, Ralph, Harvey, and Bobby Ray have started the Barefoot Boys, a vocal quartet specializing in Southern gospel songs.  They debuted recently at our family church service in the common room, and plan to travel around Idealia as itinerant performers.

That my brother, one of my uncles, and two of my cousins should form this group should come as no surprise.  Our hometown of Benson, NC annually stages one of biggest events in Southern gospel music, the Gospel Singing Convention.  Every June, dozens of groups come to the Singing Grove in our town to share their love of sacred (mostly Baptist or Methodist) music and to compete for prizes.  In fact, as this article shows, someone named Barefoot was one of the five "founding fathers" of this event.  Between us, we have attended the event many times.  Oh and one more thing: My first public concert appearance was during a break in this competition when I was eight years old.

I have spent a lot of time with them recently as an unofficial vocal coach, ensuring that they sound professional.  Their lack of experience is more than made up for by their enthusiasm and love of music.  In my mind, there is no doubt that the Barefoot Boys will succeed as they share their love of the Trinity through music.

UPDATE 1/1/2013 - Bobby Ray has left the Barefoot Boys, cutting the group from a quartet to a trio.  Bobby Ray told his brother Buddy Wayne that he had lost his enthusiasm, and both had agreed that he just wasn't talented enough.




Speaking of music, Hambone had her first public performance not too long ago in the common room.  She had a mixture of traditional songs passed down through the generations and contemporary hit songs like "Rollin' in the Deep."  As I saw her perform, I saw a combination of fascination and pride.  I didn't know that making music just with one's body could be that much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment