Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Favorite Halloween costume

This is the time of year when millions of people prepare to celebrate Halloween.  Theme parks across North America, including "Knotts Scary Farm" about 10 miles from my home, have started special holiday events as they find ways to spook and entertain their customers.  On Oct. 31 itself, parents everywhere will welcome children of all ages into their homes for the traditional distribution of candy and good cheer.

So I asked my characters what their favorite holiday costumes and activities were - or still are.

Popeye: When I grew up, Davey Crockett [the Appalachian folk hero] was popular on TV.  So I had his entire getup, complete with coonskin cap and 18th-century rifle.
Bobby Ray: I didn't have a favorite costume; I looked scary enough as it was.:)  But I do remember my favorite activity: bobbing for apples.
Annie: An angel.
Belinda: Alice, from [Alice's Adventure in Wonderland].
Buddy Wayne: I was a soldier in the U.S. Army, complete with a patch with my name on it.  I felt like a real American hero, which of course they are!
Harvey: I loved to be a vampire.  Of course, no one much liked them back then.
Brenda: I was usually a colonial girl, but one year I was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and loved it.
Jennifer: Little Bo Peep.
Bryson: I'm a cowboy!
Bunky: Bond. James Bond.
Brandy: I wore various costumes every year when the [Carolina] Hurricanes had their theme night for Halloween.  The one I remember the most was when I was Reese Witherspoon as Scarlett O'Hara in a re-imagined version of Gone With the Wind.
Hambone: Hate to say this, but...a bitch.  Literally, I was a female dog.  Don't ask me how that happened.
Ralph: Elvis Presley.  Thank you, thank you very much.

(This is another thing I did on my new best friend, Adobe Photoshop.  The patch is that of Laura Barefoot O'Donnell, a crafter, from a blog that has since been taken offline.  As for the "uniform," thanks to Brittany Barefoot of Greenwood, SC, for putting that on her Facebook page.)

1 comment: