Saturday, June 7, 2014

On a new work, BWB's "stars" come out

As we commemorate 70 years since the start of the Allied invasion of Normandy that was perhaps the most significant event in World War II (which I referenced in this post last year), I continue to fine-tune my work in preparation for the photo book.

This time, I have created art work that would serve as publicity for Little Boy Records, if it existed.  The recording label was "founded" by Buddy Wayne Barefoot to self-distribute albums as soon as he decided on a singing career.  After his win in the Sing for the World reality contest, B.W. was allowed to sign some of the losing contestants in the U.S. version to contracts.  This is in contrast to the total control TV show producers - and the labels they are affiliated with - have in most cases.

Contrary to expectations, B.W. signed a wide variety of recording artists.  Their names and descriptions are included in the captions; you can click on them for a closer look.  These stories - and a few others - are also told in a pair of posts I made in 2013: part one has more on Blondie, Bird & Fly, and Blinky Blink (not pictured here), and part two has more on Brister and MacMelville.  Also signed was a punk rock band with boy band looks, betaBOOZEbrain.  (I got that name from the game show Now You See It, where it was a second-round puzzle.)  And of course I couldn't forget about B.W.'s "wife," Brittany Raylene - whose "real name" is Brittany Spears, as shown in this post.




The background was created by using a preset brush on Adobe Photoshop which is called, of course, the star brush (with a considerable size of 55 points) on a blank background I painted black using alt-delete.  Originally, I had downloaded a picture from inside Nokia Theater L.A. Live, but changed it because it didn't work at well.  I created the company logo from scratch using the Papyrus font for the letters and a rectangle and line to surround the text.

Now, for those of you wondering how to order my book: Unfortunately, you can't do that yet.  I have to assemble the book on my hard drive, then go to Lulu.com in order to have it processed.  I expect that to take three to four weeks from this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment