Monday, September 17, 2012

It's a new beginning

Some dozen years ago, I introduced Buddy Wayne Barefoot - a dynamic new character in the world of American fiction.  From small-town roots, he reached unprecedented heights.

Five years ago, I made him the subject of a self-published book.

Three years ago, I started this blog.

Today, the story starts all over again.  Why?

I have come to realize that, despite my best intentions, the story of his adventures weren't told the way they were meant to be told.  My book jumped all over the place and in effect was about the last car race of Buddy Wayne's career.  It was supposed to be an interwoven narrative, but as I have already written, I don't know if it did it justice.

Then came the blog and boy was it a mess.  Yes, many of the posts did illuminate and expand on the story, but many others jumped off the rail.  What was I thinking running an all-name tournament (imitating a much more well-known blog, by the way) or giving "interviews" with musicians with knock-off names who were just bit players in my original book?

That's why, throughout this month, I have worked to redo this blog.  Last Saturday, I removed 37 posts that had little if anything to do with the subject matter.  (Only one peripheral character is left, B.W.'s "second wife" "Bluegrass" Brittany Spears.)  Last week, I added important profiles of B.W. and the rest of his immediate and extended families who now live with him in my own slice of Heaven.

But now for the most important thing.  Starting right now, every post on this site will have to do with either Buddy Wayne Barefoot, his 12 other family members, or events directly affecting them.  From this day on, I'll take you to a place where, as I have written in an online forum I'm part of, "hard work is rewarded, none of us have a care, and joy lasts forever."

Thank you for reading this, and God bless.


Desmond L. Hobson
Lakewood, CA (USA)
September 17, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment