Saturday, March 28, 2015

Playing dress-up with the Mommas again

The photo montage of five of the Barefoot Mommas Club members wearing Roman Originals dresses last week led me to another brainstorm, setting up this week's "picture."  It's also a bridge between my made-up "reality TV family" and an actual one.

Last fall, Sadie Robertson, part of the Duck Dynasty cast, made headlines for her second-place showing (with Mark Ballas) on the 19th season of Dancing with the Stars.  Robertson, the daughter of Duck Commander CEO Willie Robertson and the former Korie Howard, has also been concerned about the suggestive look of many prom dresses.  In 2013, she struck a deal with professional designer Sherri Hill for a new line of dresses called "Live Original"; these are billed as "daddy approved."  They debuted at the famous fashion week in New York City.

For this montage, I started with this picture taken in downtown Long Beach, CA.  I copied it from the teacher file of Nabawia Oliveira, teacher at ABC Adult School and founder of the ABC Film Festival.  I retained the fountain in the foreground and had Brandy, Annie, Brenda, and Jennifer stand in front of it.  One of the Sherri Hill dresses (found in this file) was made into four different ones, using hue/saturation and curves layers just as I adapted the Roman Original dresses before.  After that I posed them in roughly the circular pattern suggested by the fountain.  To match the heads with their faces, I used curves layers on the arms of the dresses.

The backdrop was replaced by these elements via separate layers:
  • On the left is the "Pink House," the home of M. Vinson Barefoot that I chronicled in this post two years ago. (I gave the character one name, then renamed it, so the page title is unfortunately inconsistent.)  The house was originally white and came from a Brady Poirier teacher file; I used hue/saturation and curves to change the color.
  • On the right is a continuation of the sky from the Pink House layer, and grass from two different sources.  Above the grass is a farm house and grain mill, which also came from Poirier.  I lightened it up with brightness/contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment