Saturday, August 2, 2014

Bonus coverage: Another side of Ralph, Brittany's "autograph"

I did an about-face on Sunday night and indeed the picture of Ralph going fishing is indeed now on page 44,  and the picture montage on page 36 has been replaced.  I will change that information shortly. - D.H.

Even though I am proud of the book I have just completed - and which you can order from the top right hand corner of this page -there were still some intriguing picture montages I created that hit the cutting room floor.  One of them was available to me, but there was just not enough room, while the other is something based on a character trait that I simply forgot to include.

On page 44 of the book, I imagine Ralph as a hunter, with the first picture showing a shotgun hunt and the second depicting the results of a bowhunting trip.  But as I have written, Ralph is also very good as a fisherman.  Unfortunately, I didn't think of including a picture of Ralph fishing when I was preparing the book - at least not one in which he actually caught fish.  (On page 36, in Popeye's section, Ralph is shown preparing to fish on board a boat Popeye owns.)  Worse, I later realized that I had no such "picture" available even if I wanted to include one.

It turned out that during my fruitless search for a certain picture of Adam Brister (detailed in the last post), I found an entire album is which Brister goes on fishing trips.  These are generally about five years old, posted before the hunting pictures I used as a basis for the montages in the book.  I picked one and, as I did for the ones of page 44, placed Ralph/Brett Barefoot's face on top of the body.

The result is Ralph "catching" a striped largemouth bass.  To make up for some skin-color differences, a curves adjustment turned the red color cast down and the brightness was reduced.  With that, I now show all three of Ralph's outdoors talents, just as intended:





The other picture I wish I could have included is a "poster" of Brittany Spears a/k/a Brittany Raylene.  I contrived an autograph from my own mind and changed the blending mode to multiply to get rid of the white background.  It was bumped in favor of the Spears Family Band montage (page 80).




No comments:

Post a Comment