Friday, July 12, 2013

Some "Handy Jam" photos

In this recent post, I described the annual family reunion called the Barefoot-Johnston County Family Reunion, commonly known as the "Handy Jam."  Since the event supposedly took place last week, I felt it was time for me to put up some pictures of the venue and what happens there.

Lunch takes place at a very large picnic area, located in a grassy area between the side of the house and the pond.  What you see here is a series of photos I took at Rynerson Park in Lakewood, CA (literally across the street from where I live) on Thursday.  First is an overall panorama, followed by the left side in my photo, the right side, and the "back of house" where the food is cooked and served.









Next is a picture of a bunco game with Popeye, Annie, and Jennifer that is set in that venue, but based on a different photograph.  I understand that the dice game is played predominantly by women, but I couldn't help but make Popeye the best player in the clan.


To represent the late-afternoon talent show, I'll show Labell Barefoot playing the fiddle.  Sorry, but this old black-and-white is all I could find.


Next up, you'll see a picture of an empty ballroom.  Imagine that this is the barn of the Barefoot house.  After hay and other items are cleared from the dirt floor, square wooden planks are installed and fused together to create a more professional setting.  This is where the formal dinner and ball take place at night.


The dinner scene is self-explanatory from the photograph.  As for the dancing, the best I could come up from my collection was a card celebrating Brandy's "graduation" from a ballroom dance class.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment