Saturday, January 17, 2015

Brenda's cooking side is revealed!

I have two posts planned for this weekend.  In this first one, I go back to Brenda's biography in which I call her - by far - the best cook in the house.  Within the last couple of days, I got the epiphany to manifest Brenda's love of the kitchen by way of a Photoshop project, a magazine cover which I banged out just now in a little under two hours.  Here's how it worked:

The title - The Retro Chef - is something I made up after just a few minutes of contemplation.  Yeah, I know I should have taken more time, but this is clearly my best effort to show that the magazine is by, and for, cooks who use traditional methods and tools for making meals at home.  An example of such tools is the Amish stove I have used previously, specifically on page 69 of my One Family Together Forever book.  That stove is the backdrop for my cover.

I then dressed up Brenda in a shirt, pants, and apron and made sure to size her to fit the proportions of the stove so that she would have a realistic pose in front of it.  The apron is a new element in my work and came from this page on Amazon.  Originally red plaid, I made it light brown and plaid through a hue and saturation layer; I changed the T-shirt (the only other visible element, as it turned out) to brown by the same method, and plugging in just about the same settings.

The resulting main title is self-explanatory, and like most other magazines, I added other mythical articles to the cover.  Those were done in Myriad Pro font, which I discovered at school and was later able to download at home by way of Adobe Creative Cloud.  The name The Retro Chef was created using the Della Robbia font and the text was rasterized so that a stroke could be applied.  Such a stroke is common in designing a magazine's title and was especially needed here because the shine of the oven created a white color that blended exactly with the title font originally.

Come back for an eye-opening fact about how big the Barefoot Family Farm really is.  For now, here's the cover of The Retro Chef with Brenda!


No comments:

Post a Comment